Review: Amathus Beach Hotel
Amathus Beach Hotel is a luxury five star hotel close to Limassol, and a proud member of the Leading Hotels in the World. This hotel is a lap of luxury!
The Amathus Beach Hotel is an ocean fronted property located in Amathus, 13 km east of Limassol. The hotel is flanked by other posh hotels and across the street you will find a pub and a couple of descent restaurants. There is also a great little shop where you can buy local Cypriot treats.
I stayed in a superior ocean facing room, complete with a private balcony overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. The room was luxurious, the epitome of style and comfort. The ensuite bathroom was impeccable. Free WiFi is available in the rooms, and throughout the hotel.
Room tip: Book a room facing the ocean!
The Amathus Beach Hotel has the most extensive breakfast buffet I have ever seen! From fresh fruit to grilled vegetables, a huge cheese spread to perfect pastries, and of course, the usual suspects (grilled sausages, bacon and eggs done every way). My favourite was a mixture of whipped cream, rolled oats and pineapples pieces.
When I checked in, I received cold, bottled water, a sip of Commandaria and sweet Cypriot treats. Awaiting me in my room was a fresh fruit basket.
On my last night in the hotel, I was surprised with a decadent chocolate birthday cake. I tried to explain that it wasn’t my birthday, but the waiter gave me the cake anyway. It was delicious!
The rooms are cleaned every day and there is a turn down service (with chocolates) at night.
Guests can expect a high level of service and impeccable facilities. The hotel boasts an outdoor swimming pool, a huge indoor heated swimming pool with an adjacent jacuzzi and a small steam room and sauna overlooking the indoor pool area.
What I liked best:
- The extensive breakfast buffet, the best buffet I have ever had!
- The truly luxurious and stylish feel of the rooms with unlimited internet access.
- I didn’t mind the view either!
What I didn’t like:
- A rude porter. If you’ve ever been to Cyprus, you’ll be familiar with the huge portions of food served in the restaurants. My husband and I were given the stink-eye by a porter for taking some left-over food into the hotel (nicely packaged by the way). Perhaps the poor man was hungry?!
- The noise in the Spa area. This is a family friendly hotel and as such it is not unreasonable to expect children in the spa area. They jumped in and out of the Jacuzzi and ran in and out of the stream room and sauna. Although the facilities themselves were great, the spa lacked the tranquil and peaceful atmosphere I expected.
- Noisy doors. The large, heavy doors are spring loaded. The result is that you could often hear the other guests coming and going at all hours of the day and night.
Would I stay here again?
For the great breakfast buffet I would! However, I would prefer a hotel closer to the centre of Limassol.